Warning: Parameter 3 to plgContentArticleeditor::onBeforeDisplayContent() expected to be a reference, value given in /home1/roshkhan/public_html/nationaltrust.gov.gy/libraries/joomla/event/event.php on line 67
Other Heritage Sites
A monument expresses the collective goals, joys and sorrows of society. Monuments are as varied as their creators and are regarded as masterpieces of architecture, worthy of preservation for future generations. The National Trust of Guyana remains committed to the conservation of the nation's patrimony for the benefit of future generations.
The Enmore Martyrs Monument
Designed by Dennis Williams this monument, which was erected by Zenith Industrial and Construction Co-operative Society at a cost of $10,000 was unveiled by Prime Minister Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham on June 16, 1977 on the occasion of the 29th anniversary of the death of the five martyrs who were killed during a strike at Plantation Enmore on 16 June 1948.
The Damon Monument
This impressive bronze sculpture, designed by Mr. Ivor Thom, a lieutenant of the Guyana National Service, was erected in honour of Damon, an enslaved domestic labourer who was executed for his role in the protest against the system of apprenticeship.
The Devonshire Castle Monument
This monument was erected in memory of five indentured workers: Kaulica, Beccaroo, Maxidally, Baldeo and Auckloo who were killed during a protest on 29 September 1872. It was first unveiled by William Badar on 29 September 1985 and then reconstructed and rededicated by the National Trust of Guyana on September 29, 2000.
Mahatma Ghandi Monument
This impressive bronze sculpture of Mahatma Ghandi was erected in 1969. Annually tributes are laid in memory of this distinguished man.
Located at the Placeof the Seven Ponds, this imposing monument is constructed of reinforced concrete and local materials. This monument is the final resting place of the former President of Guyana, Mr. Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham, was erected in 1986. It was designed by architect Mr. George Henry.
This simple concrete cross is believed to mark the spot where Damon, an enslaved African was buried after being executed for his role in the 1823 Demerara uprising.
Queen Victoria Monument
This imposing marble sculpture of Her Majesty Queen Victoria was unveiled and mounted in the compound of the High Court (formerly the Victoria Law Courts) on 4 September 1894 by the Governor of British Guiana Sir Charles Cameron Lees. This monument was sculpted by H. R. Hope Porter of London.
Gracing the spacious lawns of City Hall this marble sculpture was erected in honour of William Russell for his outstanding works in the city. In the 19th century this monument was erected in a small garden in the Stabroek Market Square.
Bandstand- Promenade Gardens
This bandstand which is strategically located in the centre of the spacious grounds of the Promenade Gardens was erected in 1897 by the Corporation of Georgetown in commemoration of Her Majesty Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.