Warning: Parameter 3 to plgContentArticleeditor::onBeforeDisplayContent() expected to be a reference, value given in /home1/roshkhan/public_html/nationaltrust.gov.gy/libraries/joomla/event/event.php on line 67
Sites in New Amsterdam
The New Amsterdam Public Hospital: designed by Ceasar Castellani, a Maltese architect, employed by the Public Works Department of British Guiana during the 19th century, this edifice is one of the most beautiful structures in Guyana. Arranged like a Pavillion Hospital, with the wards placed end to end this edifice was constructed in 1878.
Mission Chapel Congregational Church: this edifice was constructed after the first Mission Chapel which was founded by Reverend John Wray was destroyed by the order of the planters who blamed the missionaries for the 1823 slave insurrection. Under the ministry of Ebenezer Davies, the foundation stone of this structure was laid in 1841.
All Saints Scots Church was founded circa 1820 through the assistance of the Public Teasury. In 1838 the present structure was built when the Scots aquired a plot of land to erect a church and later a school to cateer for the population of New Amsterdam.
Ituni Temple: this elegant wooden building was constructed in the late 19th century. It is home to one of Guyana's oldest fraternity the Freemasons Lodge. Timber louvres and stained glass windows
in the small tower with intricately designed fretwork are noteworthy features of this edifice.
The New Amsterdam Town Hall : this imposing structure was erected in 1868 after the establishment of the Board of Superintendants in 1844. The tower encircled by a 'widow's walk isone of the main architectural features of this edifice.