Warning: Parameter 3 to plgContentArticleeditor::onBeforeDisplayContent() expected to be a reference, value given in /home1/roshkhan/public_html/nationaltrust.gov.gy/libraries/joomla/event/event.php on line 67
This ward of the city derives its name from Joseph Bourda who purchased this area which later became his estate. In 1876, this ward was reorganized by the Vlissingen Commissioners who were appointed by the government to analyze the claims made by many persons who claimed to be the heir of Joseph Bourda.
Like many parts of the city the streets of this ward reflect the rich history of Guyana. Charlotte Street was named in honour of Queen Charlotte, the wife of King George III. Alexander Street was named to commemorate the Czar of Russia Alexander I. Wellington Street was named after the Duke of Wellington. King Street was named in honour of King George III. Bourda Street was named after its founder Joseph Bourda. South Road, was known as Love Lane, it was a footpath that was named in accordance with its geographical position as the southernmost street in this ward. Oronoque Street and Orange Walk derive their names from dams that were planted with Oronoque and Orange trees.
The Bourda Cemetery. The first cemetery in the city of Georgetown was a privately owned cemetery, a part of the Plantation Vlissingen owned by Joesph Bourda. Many of the tombs date back to the early 19th century and many of the prominent peoples of the colonial era such as John Patoir, William Booker and the Bagots are buried there.
The National Art Gallery, Castellani House. This large wooden building was designed by Cesar Castellani. It was once the residence of the Director of Agriculture in 1888. In 1965 the building was converted as the official residence by Mr. Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham, then Prime Minister of British Guiana. In 1993 the inaugural collection of the Art Gallery was held.
The Botanic Gardens. The Government purchased 184 acres of the old coffee estate Vlissingen from Joseph Bourda for the purpose of establishing a Botanic Garden and station.
A loan of $50,000.00 was raised for the purpose of laying out the gardens and to purchase the site. At first a board of directors was appointed to advice on the proceedings but this board was soon dissolved in 1893 and the supervision devolved on the superintendent.
Housed in these gardens are a the Seven Ponds Monument and the Mausoleum a tribute to the nation's heroes. Sir David Rose, Governor General of British Guiana and former president Mr. Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham are amongst those buried there.
The Kissing Bridge is another noteworthy feature of the Botanical Gardens.
The Zoological Park. This park exhibits a variety of the flora and fauna of Guyana. The first attempt to establish a Zoo dates back to 1880, but the members of the Royal Agricultural Society were opposed to the idea. However in 1952, the Zoological Park was declared open.
The Bourda Cricket Club. This is the oldest cricket ground in the Caribbean. The headquarters of the Georgetown Club are also housed there. The ground has been the venue for many exciting games between international and local cricket teams.
Dargan House, the office of The Guyana National Commission for Unesco is a splendid example of the traditional colonial architecture. Constructed circa 1880 this building has the distinct heritage of bearing the name of its occupant Patrick Dargan a liberator for the working class against the plantocracy.
The Ministry of Agriculture, this stately wooden building is yet another example of the distinctive wooden architecture of the city's heritage.
St. Barnabas's Church was built in 1884 as a place of worship for the district of Bourda. Many changes were affected as time evolved including the addition of a steeple and a Chapel of Corpus Christi in 1926.
Bourda Market, originally built in 1880 it was soon reconstructed in 1902 to accommodate a growing number of vendors and consumers of this ward of the city. Today this market is the focal point for many commercial activities in the city.