slide2.jpg slide3.jpg slide4.jpg slide1.jpg

Warning: Parameter 3 to plgContentArticleeditor::onBeforeDisplayContent() expected to be a reference, value given in /home1/roshkhan/public_html/ on line 67

Historic Queenstown

This ward of Georgetown was named after Queen Victoria and was  purchased by the Town Council from, Quintin Hogg, a planter,   in 1887  to protect the city from unsanitary pig pens and prevent the erection of poorly constructed buildings by its proprietor.  In the jubilee year of Queen Victoria,  it was proposed by the Town    Council that the streets be named after the Queens children.

However, this decision was not favourably received by the inhabitants of this ward     of the city. Laluni and Anira Streets were named after tributaries of  the Lama a tributary of the Mahaica River. Peter Rose Street bears the name of a former      member of the Court of Policy. Forshaw Street was named after  former Mayor           of the city Mr. George Anderson Forshaw. Almond Street was named after  an    almond tree and Crown Street was named in honour of of the crown.



The Queenstown Masjid was established in 1895, to allow the  Indian immigrants to practice their religion. The masjid was constructed with hand tools in 1895 and has three domes, an unusual feature for a Masjid.



The Queenstown Moravian Church was built largely through the initiative of the Reverend John Dingwall after the decision was made in 1891 to extend its ministry to the capital city.







Another excellent example of a traditional wooden house is the Brazilian Ambassador’s Residence.     In 1971, the Brazilian government acquired this building, which was built in 1904. Built of greenheart wood this building exhibits many vernacular architectural features such as the decorative     fretwork and spandrel.     Other notable features    include wooden truss roof  and   several balusters.



Burns Memorial Guyana Presbyterian Church. This is the main building of what was originally the Canadian Presbyterian Church in Guyana, which was established in 1885 to serve the Indian immigrants  who came here to work on the plantations after emancipation.



Sharples House, was named after its famous architect John Bradsaw Sharples, this elegant timber house is a glorious reminder of the nations patrimony. This house was occupied by many famous occupants including former First Lady Viola Burnham and President  Bharat Jagdeo.




To conserve, preserve and promote the nation’s patrimony so that the present and future generations will access and enjoy the richness of Guyana’s heritage.

National Trust of Guyana
94 Carmichael Street
South America.
Tel: (592) 225-5071
or (592)-223-7146
Fax:  (592) 223-7146