slide1.jpg slide4.jpg slide3.jpg slide2.jpg

Warning: Parameter 3 to plgContentArticleeditor::onBeforeDisplayContent() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/nationaltrust/nationaltrust.gov.gy/new/libraries/joomla/event/event.php on line 67

Historic Thomaslands

 


Thomas Lands, which run for over half a mile westwards between Vlissengen Road and Camp Road being bounded to the south by the Cummingsburg Canal and North by the Atlantic. Their extent is 450 acres and formed part of Plantation Thomas, which belonged to the Quinten Hogg family, one of the wealthiest and most distinguished of our plantation owners. In 1863, the Hoggs donated this area to the Georgetown Town Council on the condition that it was to be used for educational and recreational purposes.

 

 


The National Park, formerly occupied by the Demerara Golf Club since 1923 was renamed the Queen Elizabeth II National Park  in 1965 in honour of the Queen's visit to Guyana. On Guyana's attainment of independence it was became known as the National Park. It was the scene for one of the most historic events of Guyana's history. On 26 May 1966 the Golden Arrowhead was hoisted and the Union Jack lowered marking the birth of Guyana. This park is  utilized  for cultural, educational and recreational activities and is maintained by The National Parks Commission under the Ministry of Agriculture.

 

 

 

 

 

 


The Monument To the Child, located in the complex of the National Park was erected by  the National Commission for The Right of The Child in 2000.  The monument consists of  the  sun seated on an up sided down L,   the  vertical  part  signifying strength and  the  growth of children  whilst  the  other  arm indicates that children have to reach for the stars. The base of the monument is representative of the world and the six benches depict the six races of Guyana.


Along Carifesta Avenue are examples of the Magazines, which were once used  for the storage of ammunition by the British armed forces. Constructed of concrete they stand as a reminder of the nation's history.

 

 


The Young Men's Christian Association, one of the longest associations in Guyana was founded in the early 1900's and was the stage for many cultural and educational activities.

 

 

To conserve, preserve and promote the nation’s patrimony so that the present and future generations will access and enjoy the richness of Guyana’s heritage.

National Trust of Guyana
94 Carmichael Street
Cummingsburg,
Guyana.
South America.
Tel: (592) 225-5071
or (592)-223-7146
Fax:  (592) 223-7146

nationaltrustgy@gmail.com